Also up for auction: Paul's English lit notebook

Now up for bid at Omega Auctions:

An original school book containing English essays written by a young JP McCartney (c1959) whilst in Alan "Dusty" Durbands class at the Liverpool Institute High School for Boys. The book contains 22 pages of essays on books including Thomas Hardy Return of The Native and Milton's Paradise Lost. There are also 4 pages of notes on essays at the back along with notes and a doodle of a man smoking on the reverse. All 5 essays in the book have been marked (some with comments) by Mr Durband with Paul receiving a mixed collection of very respectable B's from B++ to B-. The green book measures 6.5" x 8" and has the school logo on the front cover along with the writing "JPMCARTNEY ESQ. 6AM2 ENGLISH LITERATURE". In Mark Lewisohn's book "The Beatles: Tune In" he writes “Paul was now in his final year at the ‘Inny’, class 6AM2, one of the oldest boys in the school…. Was now deep into his Dusty Durband-inspired literary phase. ‘I did most of my reading in (that) little period of my life… I thought it was a bit swotty, a good image… I felt like I was at university’.


Comments