Ringo kicks off new tour, talks new LP

Billboard checks in with Ringo, who is embarking on another All-Stars tour this summer and is close to finishing up his latest album.
Starr has been working on the set with Toto guitarist and current All-Starr Band member Steve Lukather, along with Peter Frampton, Richard Marx, Dave Stewart, Glen Ballard and Nashville songwriter Gary Nicholson. "It's all my pals, really. We just get together," Starr notes. And, he says with a laugh, the results are "sounding incredible. It's a mixed bag, as my records always ware. We have the reggae track and we have the rock track and that's how it is. It's pop, rock, reggae." Starr is also taking the production reins on his own this time after working with Bruce Sugar on "Ringo 2012" and 2010's "Y Not."

"A couple of years ago I thought, 'Hey, I'm gonna try this,' " Starr says. "I was a bit insecure and I did bring a producer in and talked to him, and I said, 'Well, I'll call you in a couple of weeks.' And I did call him and said, 'Look, I'm having too much fun. I'm gonna do it.' I've always had ideas but I never held it together like I do now."

Comments